The World Academy of Science (TWAS) Young Affiliate Network (TYAN) and the Young Scientists Network–Academy of Sciences Malaysia (YSN-ASM) in collaboration with the Higher Education Leadership Academy (AKEPT), Cancer Research Malaysia and the Science Innovation Office of the British High Commission Kuala Lumpur is calling for applicants for the TYAN-YSN International Thematic Workshop on Cancer Research (30thOct – 1stNovember 2018). This will be the 2nd TYAN International Thematic Workshop, the inaugural workshop was held in April 2018 in Chascomús, Argentina.
The TYAN-YSN International Thematic Workshop on Cancer Research will be held near Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and is aimed at:
- providing a platform to exchange ideas and improve the scientific interactions and discourse among young scientists in the region
- increasing the knowledge and building capacity in specific thematic areas of cancer research
- identifying niche areas in cancer research that will result in strategic cross-border scientific collaborations
- initiating collaborations to address regional issues particularly in the areas of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN-SDG)
The TYAN-YSN International Thematic Workshop on Cancer Research is developed as an educational and interactive workshop that includes talks on the latest technological advancements in precision medicine, drug discovery and digital technologies. A focus of the workshop is to discuss areas of collaborations, grant opportunities, and mentoring for the building of scientific leadership in cancer research in the region through interactive sessions.
We welcome applications from early‐to mid‐career researchers working in all disciplines of sciences that addresses the prevention, early detection, diagnosis and treatment of cancer. Only a small number of scientists will be selected. Thus, successful applicants must be amongst the leading young researchers in their country. Preference will be given to outstanding researchers who are within 5 years of obtaining their PhD or equivalent degree.
Successful applicants are expected to demonstrate one or more of the following:
- A continuing research/academic position at a research institute, institution of higher learning, or industry;
- Interest in collaborations across disciplines and sector (e.g. industry, government, etc.);
- Potential for outstanding scientific output;
- Potential for leadership in research and beyond;
- Interest in translating and communicating the results of their work to impact in society
The workshop, meals and accommodation are fully sponsored by the organisers. Travel sponsorship will be made available only for participants from science-lagging countries. Please fill in the application form at: https://www.cognitoforms.com/CancerResearchMalaysia1/TYANYSNInternationalThematicWorkshopOnCancerResearchApplicationForm
All applications must be received by 14 September 2018.
Good luck with your applications!